As the local saying goes: “Virginia is for lovers.” Indeed, there’s plenty of romance to be found in Virginia’s historic venues, beautiful mountain scenery, mellow beaches, and award-winning wineries. But its most stunning feature might well be its diversity – Virginia has loads to enjoy!
Choose the perfect vacation rental
City Breaks in Virginia: Top Destinations
City Breaks in Virginia: Top Accommodations
The Best Weekend Getaway Destinations in Virginia
Are you looking for a city trip, a walk down memory lane, an outdoor adventure, or a beach break? Virginia has it all!
Richmond is the capital of Virginia, and one of America’s oldest major cities. The city has a rich history and many well-preserved landmarks, such as homes, churches, cemeteries, and battlefields, that tell the tales of the past. Take it all in during a guided tour, or opt for a self-guided walking tour. The Richmond experience doesn’t stop there, though: the city also has a hip and happening cultural scene. Stroll around the farmers’ market, visit craft breweries, enjoy fashion and shopping, and admire incredible street art along the way.
This colonial town is Virginia’s most popular historic destination, and rightly so. Williamsburg, the country’s largest living museum, transports you back into 18th-century life. The whole town stays in character 24 hours a day, meaning you’re not just visiting historic buildings, but also interacting with people and experiencing what life was like back in the day. It’s a truly unique experience and a must for anyone with a serious interest in national history.
3. Shenandoah National Park
This national park’s diverse forest, wetlands, waterfalls, and rocky peaks are home to many bird species, deer, squirrels, and even black bears. Follow Skyline Drive, running 105 miles down the sanctuary, and enjoy stunning panoramic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, surrounded by the Shenandoah Valley. Hike one of the many trails, or enjoy a picnic overlooking forested peaks. Whether you have a few hours or a whole weekend to spend here, a visit to the park will surely make for a memorable experience.
4. Virginia Beach
The coastal city of Virginia Beach features three beaches, each with their own character. Resort Beach is perfect for biking or rollerblading down the iconic boardwalk, past oceanfront bars and restaurants. And relaxing Chesapeake Bay Beach offers a more tranquil experience, with shallow waters along a calm shore. Meanwhile, secluded Sandbridge Beach offers scenic nature and opportunities for spotting wildlife at Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
Best Places to Stay for City Breaks in Virginia
Things to Do During Your Weekend Getaway in Virginia
If you’re looking for an unforgettable weekend getaway in Virginia, these are the top experiences.
1. Living history
Virginia, the birthplace of America, is steeped in history and tradition. In the Historic Triangle, consisting of Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown, you can relive the nation’s history. After seeing the living museum in Williamsburg, be sure to visit the other two towns. Jamestown houses the remains of North America’s first permanent English settlement, and Yorktown features the Revolutionary War’s last battle site.
2. The great outdoors
Virginia is the perfect destination for mountain lovers. One-fourth of the famous Appalachian Trail is within state boundaries, and includes the iconic Shenandoah National Park as well as other must-see parks. Experience stunning mountain views, many forms of outdoor recreation, and Appalachia’s unique culture, art, music, and wine.
Located conveniently close to several cities, Virginia’s beaches along the Atlantic Ocean and Chesapeake Bay offer plenty of opportunities for relaxing and entertainment. Enjoy seaside fun and food fresh from the ocean, or explore the waterways and coastal forests and marshlands.
4. Wine, spirit, and beer tasting
Virginia is the birthplace of American spirits, being where the first batch of whiskey was distilled. It also produces several award-winning wines. Stroll through vineyards or enjoy a glass of local wine with the state’s famous oysters. Visit distilleries and learn all about the process while sipping spirits. Or follow a craft beer trail and visit some of the more than 200 craft breweries that make up Virginia’s booming craft beer scene.
Recommended Accommodations for City Breaks in Virginia
What to Pack for Your Weekend Getaway in Virginia
Remember to put the following items in your weekend bag.
1. Hiking shoes
If you’re planning to go out into the mountains, be sure to bring some sturdy hiking shoes.
2. Water bottle
A refillable water bottle is indispensable while hiking, on the beach, or during a city walk.
Whether you’re in the mountains, on the road, or on the boulevard, you’ll need your sunglasses.
4. Extra space
To take home your favorite wine or whiskey, don’t forget to leave some space in your bag.
Top Offers for City Breaks in Virginia
Average Nightly Rental Prices in Virginia
Vacation Rental Price Information in Virginia
Vacation Rental Availability in Virginia
Rental Availability Information in Virginia
Weekend Getaway in Virginia Inspiration
- City Breaks in Atlantic City
- City Breaks in Cape Cod
- City Breaks in Catskill
- City Breaks in Charleston
- City Breaks in Gatlinburg
- City Breaks in Long Island
- City Breaks in Massachusetts
- City Breaks in Montana
- City Breaks in Myrtle Beach
- City Breaks in New Mexico
- City Breaks in Orlando
- City Breaks in Rhode Island
- City Breaks in the Catskills
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Atlanta
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Boston
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Denver
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Pittsburgh
- Plan your Next Weekend Trip to Cincinnati
- Weekend Getaway in Chicago
- Weekend Getaway in Iowa
- Weekend Getaway in Kansas
- Weekend Getaway in Kentucky
- Weekend Getaway in Maine
- Weekend Getaway in Maryland
- Weekend Getaway in Minnesota
- Weekend Getaway in Missouri
- Weekend Getaway in New England
- Weekend Getaway in New Hampshire
- Weekend Getaway in New Jersey
- Weekend Getaway in New York City
- Weekend Getaway in North Carolina
- Weekend Getaway in Ohio
- Weekend Getaway in Oklahoma
- Weekend Getaway in Oregon
- Weekend Getaway in Pennsylvania
- Weekend Getaway in San Francisco
- Weekend Getaway in Seattle
- Weekend Getaway in South Carolina
- Weekend Getaway in Tennessee
- Weekend Getaway in Texas
- Weekend Getaway in Washington D.C.
- Weekend Getaway in West Virginia
- Weekend Getaway in Wisconsin
- Weekend Getaway in the Midwest
- Weekend Getaway in the Northeast
- Weekend Getaway in the South
- Weekend Trip in Austin
- Weekend Trip in Baltimore
- Weekend Trip in Charlotte
- Weekend Trip in Cleveland
- Weekend Trip in Detroit
- Weekend Trip in Houston
- Weekend Trip in Indianapolis
- Weekend Trip in Kansas City
- Weekend Trip in Las Vegas
- Weekend Trip in Los Angeles
- Weekend Trip in Miami
- Weekend Trip in Minneapolis
- Weekend Trip in Nashville
- Weekend Trip in New Orleans
- Weekend Trip in Philadelphia
- Weekend Trip in Phoenix
- Weekend Trip in San Antonio
- Weekend Trip in San Diego
- Weekend Trip in the Bay Area
- Weekend Trip on the East Coast
- weekend getaway in Louisiana
- weekend getaway in Michigan
- weekend getaway in Vermont
- weekend getaway in Washington