Choose the perfect vacation rental
Family Vacation in Virginia: Top Destinations
Idyllic Family Vacations in Virginia
Family Vacation in Virginia: Top Accommodations
The Best Destinations for Family Vacations in Virginia
Virginia has an assortment of delightful destinations to visit with your family. With several located within a few hours' drive from each other, it's possible to see a number of them in a single trip. Here are some recommendations on locations to visit for family vacations in Virginia.
1. Virginia Beach
It’s the perfect spot for family fun as it's full of protected areas, parks, and historic sites. Step out of your elegant accommodation and enjoy the pristine beach, or head to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Center to see sea life.
Visit this colonial capital of Virginia and experience the 18th-century charm. A stop at the Busch Gardens Williamsburg Park lets the little ones enjoy the thrills of excellent rides and roller coasters.
3. Old Town Alexandria
With its majestic homes, world-class restaurants, and unique shops, this pedestrian-friendly city is a beautiful destination for a family vacation. Stroll down to the waterfront and hop onto a water taxi to Gaylord for shopping, or step into the Gadsby Tavern Museum and delve into history.
4. Shenandoah National Park
There are over 60 peaks and 100 species of flora and fauna to spot in this picturesque park. Visiting during the spring and fall is recommended to see the blooming wildflowers and the changing autumnal colors.
5. Chincoteague Island
This island is the home of the world-famous wild ponies. Take a guided tour on Assateague Explorer and cruise to the hidden parts of Chincoteague. The guides take you to areas where you'll see the ponies.
Best Places to Stay for Family Vacation in Virginia
Things to Do During Your Family Vacation in Virginia
Virginia offers unlimited outdoor adventures for everyone to enjoy. The waterways, trails, and mountains offer a variety of settings for numerous outdoor activities that are suitable for all ages. Consider the following list of our best picks.
1. Zip Lining
Virginia has adventures among the trees as well. Head to The Adventure Park at Virginia Aquarium and enjoy an evening climb in illuminated trees. Take to the treetops and enjoy amazing rides over the canopy.
The mild climate makes fishing on Virginia Beach comfortable all year round. Hop onto the boat for an inshore fishing trip with the little ones who may want to spend time on the water without going too far out to sea. Popular fish species include sea bass and striper.
3. Horseback Riding
Trot down the beach amid the spectacular views of the Virginia Beach Pier. Saddle up and enjoy the waterside strolls and pristine mountain trail rides. Ranches such as Fort Valley have mares for hire.
4. Mountain Biking
Virginia has fantastic terrain for biking. From the coastal trails to expert-level mountain trails, it has it all. Whether you’re a beginner or want a challenging trail, you’ll find a suitable route for biking.
Get up close and personal with nature while gliding through the water. If you’re a beginner, it’s recommended to take a few lessons from the experts before venturing out into the lakes and rivers. Popular kayaking spots include the Great Dismal Swamp and Smith River.
Recommended Accommodations for Family Vacation in Virginia
What to Pack for Your Family Vacation in Virginia
For those interested in veering off the beaten track to explore Virginia's wildlife beyond the cities, there are several necessary items that you should bring to make the most of the outdoor activities. Here is a list of recommended items to ensure you're equipped for all the experiences Virginia has to offer.
1. Personal Items
You should pack your flight/travel documents, auto insurance cards, health insurance cards, driver’s licenses, and credit or debit cards. Carrying cash is recommended in case you require services from cash-only facilities.
Bring some t-shirts and shorts as well as full-length pants for your outdoor activities. Bring bathing suits for water activities such as kayaking and fishing. A wide-brimmed hat will offer you protection from the sun.
For outdoor activities in mountainous terrain like hiking, you’ll need some sturdy boots. For watersports, bring water shoes. Flip-flops come in handy when relaxing by the water, whereas sneakers are ideal for wandering through the city streets.
4. Tech and Entertainment
Bring a camera to document your visit. For something to keep you and the kids busy while traveling, magazines and books, a deck of cards, note pads, and stationery are always a good idea.
Include a beach towel, sunscreen, and insect spray in your list of essentials.
Top Offers for Family Vacation in Virginia
Frequently Asked Questions
Family Vacations in Virginia: How much does it cost to rent a vacation home in Virginia?
You can get an incredible rental from $239 and get discounts up to 42%!
Can I find a vacation rental for a group for Family Vacations in Virginia?
House rental in Virginia typically fits 9 guests.
How many family house rentals are available to book in Virginia?
You can find more than 48,982 family accommodations in Virginia with prices starting at $75 per night.
How much does a family vacation rental cost in Virginia?
The price of a large vacation rental in Virginia can range from $239 and can go up to $316 per night during the high season in December.
What kinds of vacation rentals are available for Family Vacations in Virginia?
We would suggest checking out our selection of Apartment rental and House rental for Family Vacations in Virginia.
The Weather in Virginia
Average Nightly Rental Prices in Virginia
Vacation Rental Price Information in Virginia
Vacation Rental Availability in Virginia
Rental Availability Information in Virginia
Family Vacations in Virginia Inspiration
- Family Vacation in Alaska
- Family Vacation in Arkansas
- Family Vacation in Boston
- Family Vacation in Cape Cod
- Family Vacation in Chicago
- Family Vacation in Denver
- Family Vacation in Destin
- Family Vacation in Georgia
- Family Vacation in Key West
- Family Vacation in Lake Tahoe
- Family Vacation in Las Vegas
- Family Vacation in Louisiana
- Family Vacation in Maine
- Family Vacation in Maui
- Family Vacation in Miami
- Family Vacation in Michigan
- Family Vacation in Minnesota
- Family Vacation in Montana
- Family Vacation in Myrtle Beach
- Family Vacation in Nashville
- Family Vacation in New Jersey
- Family Vacation in New Mexico
- Family Vacation in New Orleans
- Family Vacation in New York
- Family Vacation in New York City
- Family Vacation in Oregon
- Family Vacation in Orlando
- Family Vacation in San Antonio
- Family Vacation in San Diego
- Family Vacation in San Francisco
- Family Vacation in Seattle
- Family Vacation in South Carolina
- Family Vacation in Tennessee
- Family Vacation in Vermont
- Family Vacation in Virginia Beach
- Family Vacation in Washington D.C.
- Family Vacation in West Virginia
- Family Vacation in Wisconsin
- Family Vacation in Wyoming
- Family Vacation in the Florida Keys
- Family Vacation in the Smoky Mountains
- Family Vacations in Arizona
- Family Vacations in Indiana
- Family Vacations in New England
- Family Vacations in North Carolina
- Family Vacations in Ohio
- Family Vacations in Pennsylvania
- Family Vacations in the South
- Family Vacations on the East Coast
- Smoky Mountains Family Vacations
Top Vacation Ideas in Virginia
- Romantic Getaways in Ohio
- Romantic Getaways in Florida
- Road Trips in Texas
- Romantic Getaways in Pennsylvania
- Romantic Getaways in Colorado
- Family vacations in Florida
- Florida Beach Vacations
- Texas Spring Break Vacation
- Family Vacations in Texas
- Romantic Getaways in North Carolina
- Family Vacations in Hawaii
- Romantic Getaways in Virginia
- Florida honeymoon
- Romantic Getaways in Georgia
- Family Vacations in California
- Summer Vacations in Colorado
- Road Trips in Florida
- Family Vacations in Colorado
- Family Vacations in the Midwest
- Romantic Getaways in Tennessee
- Beach Vacations in Virginia
- Road Trips in Arizona
- Indiana State Parks
- Road Trips in Ohio
- New Mexico State Parks
- Lake House Rentals in New Jersey
- Pet Friendly Rentals in Alabama
- Beach Vacations in Delaware
- Weekend Getaway in Virginia
- Spring Break in Colorado
- Surfing Vacations in California
- Honeymoon in Wyoming
- Ranch Vacation in Colorado
- Romantic Getaway in Idaho
- Must-See Events in California
- Skiing in Ohio
- Road Trips in Vermont
- Weekend Trip Ideas in Louisiana
- Skiing in Massachusetts
- Surfing Vacations in North Carolina
- Spring Break in Hawaii
- Spa Getaways in Texas
- Honeymoon in Oregon
- Colorado New Year's Eve
- Pet Friendly Rentals in Tennessee
- December Travel on the East Coast
- Family Vacations in Kentucky
- Top Destinations for a Weekend Getaway in Colorado
- Road Trips in Wyoming
- Romantic Getaways in Oklahoma
- Kansas State Parks
- Midwest Dog Friendly Vacations
- Cabins with Hot Tubs in Vermont
- New York Music Venues
- Massachusetts Christmas Vacation
- Massachusetts Thanksgiving Getaway
- Beach Vacations in Pennsylvania
- Christmas Markets in New York
- Rhode Island State Parks
- Summer Vacations in Pennsylvania
- Family Vacation in Missouri
- New York State Parks
- Staycations in Connecticut
- Weekend Getaway in Kansas
- California Christmas Vacation
- Washington Christmas Vacation
- Summer Vacations in Arkansas
- March Vacations on the East Coast
- California Music Venues
- Pet Friendly Rentals in Florida
- Summer Vacations in Oregon
- Cabins with Hot Tubs in Colorado
- Road Trips in Minnesota
- Family Vacation in Alabama
- Must-See Events in South Dakota
- Spring Break in Vermont
- Christmas Markets in Pennsylvania
- Romantic Getaway in Oregon
- Romantic Getaway in Massachusetts
- Colorado Music Venues
- Family Vacation in Utah
- Washington State Parks
- Spring Break in North Carolina
- Georgia State Parks
- December Travel in California
- March Vacations in Hawaii
- Top Destinations for a Weekend Getaway in Ohio
- Arizona Music Venues
- Lake Cabins in Texas
- Summer Vacations in Alaska
- Virginia Christmas Vacation
- Spring Break in Oregon
- Romantic Getaway in Montana
- South Carolina State Parks
- East Coast Family Beach Vacations
- Florida New Year's Eve Destinations
- Summer Vacations in Wisconsin
- Spa Getaways in New Jersey
- Romantic Getaway in West Virginia
- Summer Vacation East Coast