700,000 motorcycles roar on the roads of South Dakota every August during a ten day motorcycle rally in Sturgis. First held in 1938, the event has grown into one of the biggest in the state, so Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Hotels are understandably popular. Curious travellers are sure to enjoy a stay in Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Vacation Rentals.
Our Top Offers Near Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Must-Try Foods at the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Street food fits perfectly to the biker life. Living and eating on the streets has been taken to the next level with this rally's street food competition. More than one hundred street food vendors vie for your patronage. Here's a teaser of some must-try meals:
- During the rally, look for the red and white striped tent on the corner of Lazelle and Junction Streets. Here, you can buy roasted pork tenderloin and chops by the pound. Turkey leg, rotisserie chicken, ribs, Texan beef brisket, and boneless rib sandwiches are on the menu. The Porky's Parfait is meat topped with mash and gravy, and it is served at all hours at this busy intersection.
2. Jeanne's Bourbon Street BBQ
- Not enough hickory smoke for you? You will find this gem of a barbecue stall in Downtown Sturgis' RV Park. Dine on slabs of ribs, whole and half bourbon smoked chicken, beef brisket, and sides of slaw, green beans, and potato salad.
3. Town & Country Plumbing
- Indian fried-bread tacos are on the menu at this award-winning food stand. The Angus beef is sourced locally just east of Sturgis at Rocking Tree Ranch.
Explore Accommodations Near Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Best Outdoor Activities Around the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
It isn't just the motorcycle rally that will set your heart racing in South Dakota. The state has a long history of iconic American moments to remember, including calamitous battles and grand symbols of state power. Explore the countryside around Sturgis to see:
1. Black Hills National Forest
- The Black Hill Run is a legendary motorcycle route through the whispering Black Hills National Forest. Lean into the tight corners as you wend your way through undulating terrain towards sublime views over South Dakota. Some 1.2 million acres supply 450 mi. of trails through spectacular terrain.
2. Mount Rushmore
- While you're in South Dakota, stopping by Mount Rushmore is a must. The granite faces of four US presidents stare out of the mountain, carved by sculptor Gutzon Borglum, and later his son Lincoln Borglum who finished the work. This iconic American sculpture catches the sunshine during most of the day and is situated in a thousand acre memorial park roamed by bison, bobcats, and coyotes.
3. Crazy Horse Memorial
- Motorcyclists will want to pay homage to the original American riders, the Native American tribes. The Crazy Horse Memorial is the largest mountain carving in the world. Crazy Horse himself was a member of the Teton Sioux tribe, who lived about 40 mi. north-east of Thunderhead Mountain. Credited (perhaps spuriously) with killing General George A. Custer, Crazy Horse was himself slain at Fort Robinson after truce negotiations broke down.
Great Places to Stay Near Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Top Tips to Know Before You Go to the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Road tripping to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Hotels is always a good call. With nearly one million other roadies in your biker gang though, this mega-motorcycle meetup can prove a little daunting. Besides tuning up your ride, here are some helpful hints to ensure that you can enjoy the fun at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally:
- Far larger than Datyona Bike Week, Sturgis Motorcycle Rally is heaven for motorcyclists. You'll probably be tempted to buy some biker merchandise or technology. Be aware that the longer you wait to buy, the higher prices get, as supply diminishes. In case you don't want to ride home laden with purchases, you can send them home via the UPS Booth, for example at the Black Hills Harley Davidson Store.
- Parking is free along Lazelle Street, but if you prefer not to park with thousands of other motorcycles next to yours, then side street parking is also free. Off-site venues like Buffalo Chip, Broken Spoke, and Iron Horse Saloon also have clearly designated parking areas. Beware though, any motorcycles left overnight on Main Street will be towed, so look for tow-free areas if leaving your bike overnight.
- As with any motorcycle event, weather-appropriate protective gear is required. Just bear in mind that Sturgis is generally hot in August, so you are likely to want to keep your layers light. Finally, be sure to pack rain gear if you are intending to bike in to Sturgis.
Recommended Accommodations Near Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
Visit These Other Popular Events
- California State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Kentucky State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- SXSW Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Ohio State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Arizona State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Iowa State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Minnesota State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Wisconsin State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Austin City Limits Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Eastern States Exposition Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Kentucky Derby Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Illinois State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Nebraska State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Lollapalooza Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Washington State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- The Great New York State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- North Carolina State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Indiana State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Mardi Gras Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Ultra Music Festival Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Comic-Con San Diego Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Texas State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Essence Festival Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Rose Bowl Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Bonnaroo Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Fryeburg Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals