Best Hiking Trails in Ricketts Glen State Park
Visiting Ricketts Glen State Park gives would-be explorers 26mi. of trails to traverse, with difficulty levels designed to suit all ages and experience levels. From spectacular waterfalls to groves of cherry tree blossoms, a home base in Ricketts Glen State Park cabins makes it easy to find a route suitable for your group, and explore at your own pace.
1. Evergreen Trail
One of the easiest trails in the park, this one-mile route is suitable for children and takes you through old growth forest to ancient hemlock.
2. Bear Walk Trail
Beginning at Lake Rose, this 2.9mi. trail is also suitable for children. During winter, this trail is used for cross-country skiing and snowmobiling.
3. Cherry Run Trail
Guiding you through groves of cherry trees and along old logging roads, this 4.6mi. hike is slightly more challenging and is suitable for older children and moderately experienced hikers.
4. Falls Trail
A 7.2mi. loop trail that takes you past 21 spectacular waterfalls, this trail is among the most difficult in the park. It is best-suited to more experienced hikers.
Great Places to Stay Near Ricketts Glen State Park
Best Family Activities in Ricketts Glen State Park
Whether exploring the park on horseback, settling down for a quiet day spotting local flora and fauna, or hitting the snow-covered trails on your skis, you can enjoy ample outdoor activities as a family. For a comfortable base nearby, explore the many Ricketts Glen State Park hotels, for cozy, convenient vacation options.
1. Horseback riding
With 12.5mi. of equestrian trails, horseback riders are well catered for in the park. Bring your own mounts, or rent horses from nearby stables, and explore the park's old railroads, dry lake beds, and abandoned dam complex for a different perspective.
2. Wildlife watching
Ricketts Glen State Park is included on the Audubon Susquehanna River Birding and Wildlife Trail, and offers keen wildlife watchers plenty to see. Black bears are common in the park, as are bald eagles.
3. Cross-country skiing
During the winter months, the many hiking trails in the park are ideal for both cross-country skiing and snowmobiling. You can get more information on snow depth and ice by consulting the park's Winter Report.
Top Lodging Near Ricketts Glen State Park
Visit Other Popular Pennsylvania State Parks
- Bald Eagle State Park Cabins
- Black Moshannon State Park Cabins
- Caledonia State Park Cabins
- Cherry Springs State Park Cabins
- Codorus State Park Cabins
- Cook Forest State Park Cabins
- French Creek State Park Cabins
- Gifford Pinchot State Park Cabins
- Hickory Run State Park Cabins
- Keystone State Park Cabins
- Kinzua Bridge State Park Cabins
- Kooser State Park Cabins
- Laurel Hill State Park Cabins
- Linn Run State Park Cabins
- Moraine State Park Cabins
- Nockamixon State Park Cabins
- Ohiopyle State Park Cabins
- Parker Dam State Park Cabins
- Presque Isle State Park Cabins
- Prince Gallitzin State Park Cabins
- Promised Land State Park Cabins
- Raccoon Creek State Park Cabins
- Shawnee State Park Cabins
- Worlds End State Park Cabins
- Yellow Creek State Park Cabins