The Best Hiking Trails in Black Moshannon State Park
With a variety of trails suitable for all ages and experience levels, Black Moshannon State Park has plenty to keep hikers occupied. Plan your route from Black Moshannon State Park cabins and discover the wetlands, bogs, forests, and meadows as you hike the varied topography of this outstanding reserve.
1. Allegheny Front Trail
Hikers can choose to complete all or only part of this moderately difficult 38-mile trail. Popular with trail runners and mountain bikers, the route is an ideal way to get your bearings in the park.
2. Bog and Indian Moss Trail
This 14.8-mile trail, also rated as moderately difficult, circles Black Moshannon Lake and crosses the streams through the bog. Information panels along this route tell the story of the bog and its unique wildlife.
3. Star Mill Trail
Skirting the lake and heading into the forest, this easy 2.1-mile trail is perfect for children. Wildlife watching and birding are popular along the route, and lucky hikers may spot flying squirrels, woodpeckers, or even the elusive bobcat.
Great Places to Stay Near Black Moshannon State Park
The Best Family Activities in Black Moshannon State Park
Black Moshannon State Park hotels provide families with an excellent base from where to enjoy a variety of recreational activities. From afternoons exploring the lake and wetlands to cold days out on the ice during winter, activities suitable for the whole family await throughout the year at the park.
With 250 acres of lake to explore, boating is a great way to peer into the murky depths of Black Moshannon Lake. The lake, which takes its deep color from the sphagnum moss in the area, provides a unique habitat for aquatic flora and fauna.
2. Wildlife watching
The ecology of Black Moshannon State Park provides a home for a rich and diverse array of wildlife. From beavers and muskrats to salamanders and snakes, the life in and around the water is diverse. Additionally, the forests are home to black bears, porcupines, bobcats, and flying squirrels.
3. Winter sports
The colder months in Black Moshannon State Park provide visitors with a whole new set of activities. With cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, skating, there's plenty to keep everyone happy on a winter vacation here.
Visit Other Popular Pennsylvania State Parks
- Bald Eagle State Park Cabins
- Caledonia State Park Cabins
- Cherry Springs State Park Cabins
- Codorus State Park Cabins
- Cook Forest State Park Cabins
- French Creek State Park Cabins
- Gifford Pinchot State Park Cabins
- Hickory Run State Park Cabins
- Keystone State Park Cabins
- Kinzua Bridge State Park Cabins
- Kooser State Park Cabins
- Laurel Hill State Park Cabins
- Linn Run State Park Cabins
- Moraine State Park Cabins
- Nockamixon State Park Cabins
- Ohiopyle State Park Cabins
- Parker Dam State Park Cabins
- Presque Isle State Park Cabins
- Prince Gallitzin State Park Cabins
- Promised Land State Park Cabins
- Raccoon Creek State Park Cabins
- Ricketts Glen State Park Cabins
- Shawnee State Park Cabins
- Worlds End State Park Cabins
- Yellow Creek State Park Cabins