New Orleans, Louisiana, is all about the good times. If you prefer music to monuments, and food to sightseeing, this city has much for you to do. However, there are also plentiful cultural and sightseeing options. Within a weekend, you can enjoy the best New Orleans has to offer.
Choose the perfect vacation rental
City Breaks in New Orleans: Top Accommodations
Top 5 Things to See: 48hrs in New Orleans
New Orleans is bursting with unique experiences, starting with the city's historic architecture that makes for excellent photography. Performances by jugglers and jazz musicians are typical, and the food is worth every penny.
1. Jackson Square
Situated in front of St. Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square is a small park ideal for leisurely walks in the morning and evening. You can pose for a picture in front of the classic cathedral to capture its architecture. As you walk, you might meet jugglers, jazz musicians, and voodoo specialists.
2. Café du Monde
Head to Café du Monde, just a short walk from Jackson Square, to try their iconic French beignets. These fried doughnuts covered in powdered sugar go particularly well with a café au lait. You might be tempted to pass by this café more than once after your first experience.
3. Decatur Street and the French Market
Walk along Decatur Street and stop by the French Market for shops, good old-fashioned gumbo, beers, and live jazz. You can also stop at Gallery Cayenne for art exhibits or swing by a voodoo store for a reading.
4. Plantation Tour
Head out of New Orleans for a plantation tour. Brace yourself for a mix of the scenic plantation and an up-front look at the unbearably cruel history of slavery. Some nearby estates include Oak Alley Plantation, Laura Plantation, and Houmas House.
Travel in an airboat in the Bayou area to observe cypress swamps, spot some alligators, and enjoy beautiful scenery.
Best Places to Stay for City Breaks in New Orleans
Best Spots for Nightlife in New Orleans
At night, Bourbon Street in New Orleans comes to life. This famous street's history dates back to 1718 and the city's earliest years. If you're looking for nocturnal adventure, Bourbon Street is bursting with opportunities.
1. Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop Bar
At the end of the street, at the corner of St. Phillips St., you might find Jean Lafitte's ghost still wandering around one of the oldest bars in the U.S. Here, enjoy drinks under candles and gas-lit lamps.
2. Fritzel's European Jazz Club
For some classic jazz, stop by Fritzel's and enjoy performances at no extra charge. Enjoy drinks with your friends before heading back to your hotel.
3. Mississippi River
Finish your visit in style by enjoying dinner on a steamboat as you ride down the Mississippi River.
Recommended Accommodations for City Breaks in New Orleans
Weekend Trip in New Orleans Inspiration
- City Breaks in Atlantic City
- City Breaks in Cape Cod
- City Breaks in Catskill
- City Breaks in Charleston
- City Breaks in Gatlinburg
- City Breaks in Long Island
- City Breaks in Massachusetts
- City Breaks in Montana
- City Breaks in Myrtle Beach
- City Breaks in New Mexico
- City Breaks in Orlando
- City Breaks in Rhode Island
- City Breaks in the Catskills
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Atlanta
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Boston
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Denver
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Pittsburgh
- Plan your Next Weekend Trip to Cincinnati
- Weekend Getaway in Chicago
- Weekend Getaway in Iowa
- Weekend Getaway in Kansas
- Weekend Getaway in Kentucky
- Weekend Getaway in Maine
- Weekend Getaway in Maryland
- Weekend Getaway in Minnesota
- Weekend Getaway in Missouri
- Weekend Getaway in New England
- Weekend Getaway in New Hampshire
- Weekend Getaway in New Jersey
- Weekend Getaway in New York City
- Weekend Getaway in North Carolina
- Weekend Getaway in Ohio
- Weekend Getaway in Oklahoma
- Weekend Getaway in Oregon
- Weekend Getaway in Pennsylvania
- Weekend Getaway in San Francisco
- Weekend Getaway in Seattle
- Weekend Getaway in South Carolina
- Weekend Getaway in Tennessee
- Weekend Getaway in Texas
- Weekend Getaway in Virginia
- Weekend Getaway in Washington D.C.
- Weekend Getaway in West Virginia
- Weekend Getaway in Wisconsin
- Weekend Getaway in the Midwest
- Weekend Getaway in the Northeast
- Weekend Getaway in the South
- Weekend Trip in Austin
- Weekend Trip in Baltimore
- Weekend Trip in Charlotte
- Weekend Trip in Cleveland
- Weekend Trip in Detroit
- Weekend Trip in Houston
- Weekend Trip in Indianapolis
- Weekend Trip in Kansas City
- Weekend Trip in Las Vegas
- Weekend Trip in Los Angeles
- Weekend Trip in Miami
- Weekend Trip in Minneapolis
- Weekend Trip in Nashville
- Weekend Trip in Philadelphia
- Weekend Trip in Phoenix
- Weekend Trip in San Antonio
- Weekend Trip in San Diego
- Weekend Trip in the Bay Area
- Weekend Trip on the East Coast
- weekend getaway in Louisiana
- weekend getaway in Michigan
- weekend getaway in Vermont
- weekend getaway in Washington