Spend a sultry summer evening dancing to a live soundtrack courtesy of R&B’s biggest names. New Orleans, the birthplace of jazz, will host ESSENCE for three nights. Find out how to prepare, so all you need to do is ‘let the good times roll’ and experience this remarkable city.
Our Top Offers Near Essence Festival
Getting to the ESSENCE Festival (Best Ways to Arrive)
ESSENCE Festival, ‘the party with a purpose’, is set across two main locations, the Ernest N. Moral Convention Center and the Mercedes Benz Superdome. These are both situated on the edge of the French Quarter, meaning you can enjoy the Big Easy (New Orleans' nickname) during the day without straying too far from where the party will kick off later on.
1. When to Travel.
ESSENCE Festival runs over a weekend and is an excellent excuse to explore one of America’s most unusual cities. Travelers are recommended to arrive the day before the festival starts. This gives you the perfect opportunity to leave your suitcase in your hotel and head to Frenchmen Street, New Orleans’ capital of live music.
2. Arriving by Car.
If you are staying outside New Orleans, parking near the festival couldn’t be simpler. Parking is available at both main locations – just make sure you have cash with you for the parking garages (fees vary).
3. Arriving by Air.
Louis Armstrong New Orleans Airport is the best bet if you’re arriving from another state or even from abroad. Taxis, hire cars, and shuttle buses to bring you to the venue can be booked in advance. If there are several people in your party a taxi may work out cheaper than a shuttle.
Explore Accommodations Near Essence Festival
Top ESSENCE Festival Daytime Activities
Make sure you don’t overdo it during the evening, because New Orleans is a city unlike any other in the States. The Cajun French, Spanish, and African-American cultures have left more than an indelible mark on the Crescent City – they course through its veins and have melded together to create its unmistakable identity. The city’s curiosities and cultural history are a testament to this, so make sure you leave plenty of time to experience them.
1. Explore New Orleans’ Voodoo Past.
Let New Orleans’ voodoo past cast a spell on you and explore the history of its spiritual folklore, which developed from Afro-American religions. Pay homage to Marie Laveau, the Queen of Voodoo, at her tomb in St. Louis Cemetery no.1, then find out more about her story at her House of Voodoo or at the New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum.
2. Paddle in alligator-infested waters.
If you prefer more immediate thrills, make sure to book a kayak swamp tour of the bayou. You will get up close and personal to wildlife living among the mangroves including pelicans, possums – and the odd friendly ‘gator! If that’s too close for your comfort, just enjoy the wild and unspoiled beauty from a safer distance, on a boat.
3. Shopping, New Orleans style.
Even the shopping experience is infused with the spirit of New Orleans. The city abounds with countless family-run antique shops, fine art galleries, and independent music shops, particularly in the French Quarter and on Magazine Street.
Great Places to Stay Near Essence Festival
Top Tips to Know Before You Go to ESSENCE Festival
In a city as energetic as New Orleans, you don’t want to waste time sorting the particulars when you could be nodding along to jazz on Frenchmen Street or enjoying a bowl of hearty jambalaya. Make sure you tick the essentials off before touching down for ESSENCE Festival. Hotels are plentiful, but make sure you don’t get caught out by booking too late.
1. Book your ESSENCE Festival Hotels well in advance.
Make sure your accommodation is sorted well in advance to avoid any last minute panic, as the city does get booked up for the festival. Choose from glamorous historic hotels in the French Quarter, boutique hotels, or more wallet-friendly ones.
2. Or Check Out ESSENCE Festival Vacation Rentals.
If you prefer the freedom to come and go as you please, or want to book a bigger space for a group of travelers, then a vacation rental might be a better bet. Typical rentals in New Orleans include spacious, candy-colored shotgun houses with verandas, and smart, industrial-style apartments.
3. Plan your eats in advance.
The home of soul food, po’ boys, and beignets, the Big Easy is not short on local (and delicious) specialties. In fact, you’re likely to have so many on your food bucket list that it’s a good idea to plan where you want to eat before you go, to avoid being caught out by a sudden hunger pang.
Recommended Accommodations Near Essence Festival
Average Accommodation Prices Near Essence Festival
Vacation Rental Price Information in New Orleans
Accommodation Availability Near Essence Festival
Rental Availability Information in New Orleans
Visit These Other Popular Events
- California State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Kentucky State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- SXSW Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Ohio State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Arizona State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Iowa State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Minnesota State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Wisconsin State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Austin City Limits Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Eastern States Exposition Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Kentucky Derby Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Illinois State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Nebraska State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Lollapalooza Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Washington State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- The Great New York State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- North Carolina State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Indiana State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Mardi Gras Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Ultra Music Festival Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Comic-Con San Diego Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Texas State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Rose Bowl Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Bonnaroo Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Fryeburg Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals