There is a reason why Illinois was nicknamed the Prairie State; a vacation to this Midwestern state lets you travel through scenic farmlands, wetlands, and rolling hills. It's also a state of firsts - the first skyscraper in the US was erected in Chicago, and so was the first Ferris wheel. Besides, you will find quaint, beautiful towns with lovely restaurants, shops, historical sites, and many thrilling activities.
Choose the perfect vacation rental
City Breaks en Illinois: Top Accommodations
Best Weekend Getaway Destinations in Illinois
From the scenic views of the Mississippi River in the west to the relaxing shores of Lake Michigan in the northeast, Illinois has plenty of note-worthy towns where you can relax and experience Midwestern hospitality.
Whether you're on a honeymoon, a gastronomic tour, family vacation, or a culture trip, Galena guarantees a place for relaxation. Take a wine-tasting tour to one of the two local wineries, tour the home of the civil war hero, Ulysses S. Grant. During fine weather, take a swinging session in one of Galena's ten golf courses. You'll love the town's natural scenery while taking a boat or kayak on the Galena River. Outdoor enthusiasts will relish fishing and hiking in the Apple River Canyon State Park.
Comprising two unique, beautiful cities, Champaign-Urbana boasts the University of Illinois main campus, which gives the city a vibrant college vibe. Blend in the spirit of higher learning with a tour around the campus' Spurlock Museum and see a wide selection of exhibits and artifacts from all over the globe. On a sunny Saturday morning, head down for shopping or a taste of Midwestern coffee with a tour around the Market at the Square.
This stunning city welcomes travelers to a natural escape, featuring the silently winding Sangamon River and the 40-acre Adams Wildlife Center. If you’re a fan of President Abraham Lincoln, Springfield is the best place to learn more about him. There are several monuments and statues dedicated to Abraham, including the 31ft. statue at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum on N 6th St.
Best Places to Stay for City Breaks en Illinois
Things to Do During Your Weekend Getaway in Illinois
A weekend getaway in Illinois offers guests endless opportunity to explore world-class museums, parks, historical sites, hearty midwestern restaurants, and retail shops.
1. The Magnificent Mile
Drive through Chicago's Michigan Avenue and see the splendor of the Magnificent Mile. This one-mile stretch has a variety of shopping destinations, ranging from upscale boutiques to high-street stores. The Mile is also known for its landmark structures such as the Trump Tower and the Wrigley Building. Furthermore, you'll find several restaurants, live-entertainment venues, and a selection of museums.
2. Anderson Japanese Garden
See blossoming flowers and attractive greenery in the Anderson Japanese Garden. Nestled in Illinois's third-largest city, Rockford, the garden entices travelers looking for a place to relax and unwind. You will love the attention to detail that went into the planning and strategic placement of the pagodas, bridges, water pools, and lanterns to result in a natural masterpiece. Bring along a camera, as the beautiful colors offer the perfect photo backdrop.
3. Cahokia Mounds
Travel back in time by exploring the largest collection of prehistoric Native Indian settlements in the US. This UNESCO World Heritage Site comprises more than 100 mounds, artificial gravel or sand hills built by the natives for religious and burial purposes. The site dates back to 700-1400 AD, a period when the settlement is believed to have been at its peak. A visit to the Resource Center reveals stories about the Native Americans who built the mounds through films, audio recordings, and dioramas.
Recommended Accommodations for City Breaks en Illinois
What to Pack for Your Weekend Getaway in Illinois
When packing, you need to consider certain factors such as the climatic conditions of your intended Midwestern destinations as well as the outdoor activities and indoor attractions on your itinerary.
Whether you travel in summer or winter, Illinois experiences daily weather fluctuations. It's only safe that you carry both light and layered garments. However, you may consider including a swimsuit for a summer trip, and water-resistant boots and a heavy jacket for winter.
2. Outdoor Gear
In a land of natural beauty and outdoor attractions like Illinois, you should bring a picnic blanket, water bottles, comfortable sneakers, active-wear, sunscreen, and hat.
3. Money and Drivers' Licence
Cash money and credit cards will come in handy when visiting various attractions if they only offer one method of payment. A driver's license is essential for renting a car.
4. Electronic Gadgets
When touring the Prairies State, bring along a camera to capture the best places and moments. A smartphone helps you keep in touch with your friends at home and on social media. Hence, bring along a charger and an adaptor.
Top Offers for City Breaks en Illinois
Average Nightly Rental Prices en Illinois
Vacation Rental Price Information in Illinois
Vacation Rental Availability en Illinois
Rental Availability Information in Illinois
Weekend Getaway in Illinois Inspiration
- City Breaks in Atlantic City
- City Breaks in Cape Cod
- City Breaks in Catskill
- City Breaks in Charleston
- City Breaks in Gatlinburg
- City Breaks in Long Island
- City Breaks in Massachusetts
- City Breaks in Montana
- City Breaks in Myrtle Beach
- City Breaks in New Mexico
- City Breaks in Orlando
- City Breaks in Rhode Island
- City Breaks in the Catskills
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Atlanta
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Boston
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Denver
- Plan Your Next Weekend Trip to Pittsburgh
- Plan your Next Weekend Trip to Cincinnati
- Weekend Getaway in Chicago
- Weekend Getaway in Iowa
- Weekend Getaway in Kansas
- Weekend Getaway in Kentucky
- Weekend Getaway in Maine
- Weekend Getaway in Maryland
- Weekend Getaway in Minnesota
- Weekend Getaway in Missouri
- Weekend Getaway in New England
- Weekend Getaway in New Hampshire
- Weekend Getaway in New Jersey
- Weekend Getaway in New York City
- Weekend Getaway in North Carolina
- Weekend Getaway in Ohio
- Weekend Getaway in Oklahoma
- Weekend Getaway in Oregon
- Weekend Getaway in Pennsylvania
- Weekend Getaway in San Francisco
- Weekend Getaway in Seattle
- Weekend Getaway in South Carolina
- Weekend Getaway in Tennessee
- Weekend Getaway in Texas
- Weekend Getaway in Virginia
- Weekend Getaway in Washington D.C.
- Weekend Getaway in West Virginia
- Weekend Getaway in Wisconsin
- Weekend Getaway in the Midwest
- Weekend Getaway in the Northeast
- Weekend Getaway in the South
- Weekend Trip in Austin
- Weekend Trip in Baltimore
- Weekend Trip in Charlotte
- Weekend Trip in Cleveland
- Weekend Trip in Detroit
- Weekend Trip in Houston
- Weekend Trip in Indianapolis
- Weekend Trip in Kansas City
- Weekend Trip in Las Vegas
- Weekend Trip in Los Angeles
- Weekend Trip in Miami
- Weekend Trip in Minneapolis
- Weekend Trip in Nashville
- Weekend Trip in New Orleans
- Weekend Trip in Philadelphia
- Weekend Trip in Phoenix
- Weekend Trip in San Antonio
- Weekend Trip in San Diego
- Weekend Trip in the Bay Area
- Weekend Trip on the East Coast
- weekend getaway in Louisiana
- weekend getaway in Michigan
- weekend getaway in Vermont
- weekend getaway in Washington