Must-Try Foods at the Ohio State Fair
Trying different foods is a huge part of any state fair experience, and Ohio is no exception. The Fair has its own dedicated Food Highway leading right through the middle of the showground. The Taste of Ohio pavilion showcases local produce and dishes, but whatever your foodie preferences, you'll find something to tickle your taste buds.
1. Glazed Doughnut Burger -
One of the most popular treats at any state fair, this is a treat which is sticky, sweet, savory and salty all in one mouthful. It's like nothing you've ever tasted before. Match with sweet potato fries to crank up the guilty pleasure factor just a little more.
2. Giant Turkey Leg -
Another Fair classic, you'll be able to smell the delicious aroma of barbecuing turkey across the Fair grounds. Often sold wrapped in crispy bacon or with a generous portion of tangy BBQ sauce, this is one of the healthier options when if comes to Fair food.
3. Gyro -
Originally a Greek dish, a gyro is perfect for a quick and healthy lunch on the move. It's a mix of freshly cooked flatbread, beef or chicken, served with fresh salad vegetables and tangy yoghurt dressing. Delicious.
Explore Accommodations Near Ohio State Fair
Top Attractions at the Ohio State Fair
Whatever your idea of fun you will find plenty to keep you busy at the Ohio State Fair. Hotels close by to the showground make the ideal base for planning your trip and with events as diverse as giant vegetable competitions and rodeos, your only problem will be deciding what to do first. Check out the timetable online or use the smartphone app to see what's happening on the day you plan to visit.
1. Sky Glider
A great way to get your bearings and have a bird's eye view of the fair is to take a ride on the Sky Glider, a half mile long chairlift type ride through the fair's exhibition areas. It's a lot of fun and a good way of escaping the crowds down at ground level.
There is a huge fireworks display each night of the fair, visible from across the show grounds. It is a spectacle which lights up the night sky and it's worth sticking around to see so why not take in one of the live bands as you're waiting? Alternatively, grab a beer or a lemonade and enjoy the noisy, colorful fun.
3. Pig Racing
Is there anything cuter than piglets careering round a race track? The race is over in seconds and kids love picking their favorite and cheering them on. If you prefer your animal racing a bit bigger, then one night of the fair features harness racing with horses.
Great Places to Stay Near Ohio State Fair
Top Tips to Know Before You Go to the Ohio State Fair
You will probably need more than a couple of days to experience everything which the Ohio State Fair has to offer. Looking for Ohio State Fair hotels close to the action will maximise your time to have fun but a bit of careful planning might help too.
1. Download the Mobile App
The aim of the State fair's free app is to make your visit easier and it certainly delivers. Useful features include being able to pin the position of your car in the parking lot, a searchable database of food vendors and maps of every inch of the showground.
2. Ride All Day Wristbands
If you are visiting with kids who want nothing more than to be on the thrill rides all day, then buy the Ride All Day option on the wristbands, which will give you unlimited access to as many rides as you want over one day.
3. Visit in the Evening
Most fair visitors spend their evenings at the bars, or watching live bands. That means that other attractions, such as the produce tents, livestock pens, giant vegetables or famous Butter Cow are a lot less busy after dusk, allowing you to browse in peace and quiet.
Recommended Accommodations Near Ohio State Fair
Visit These Other Popular Events
- Arizona State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Austin City Limits Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Bonnaroo Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- California State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Comic-Con San Diego Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Eastern States Exposition Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Essence Festival Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Fryeburg Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Illinois State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Indiana State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Iowa State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Kentucky Derby Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Kentucky State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Lollapalooza Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Mardi Gras Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Minnesota State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Nebraska State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- North Carolina State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Rose Bowl Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- SXSW Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Texas State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- The Great New York State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Ultra Music Festival Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Washington State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals
- Wisconsin State Fair Hotels & Vacation Rentals