Celebrating Thanksgiving in Charleston means kick-starting the holiday season with world-class cuisine and historic sites, balanced with a relaxed and idyllic short vacation. You can spend your weekend in one of the centrally located Charleston hotels for Thanksgiving as they are just a few steps away from the eateries, shopping centers and spots that host the most popular weekend events.
Choose the perfect vacation rental
Thanksgiving in Charleston: Top Accommodations
Where to Dine for Thanksgiving in Charleston
Instead of cooking a turkey at home or going to someone’s place for the traditional dinner, while you are in town, you should have Thanksgiving dinner at one of the plush restaurants in Charleston which serve a great lineup of delicacies. Most of these restaurants are also quite near the Charleston vacation rentals for Thanksgiving that you should consider, especially if you stay in the historic downtown area.
1. The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island
This upmarket resort hosts a lavish buffet, which includes not only the traditional favorites but also features live chef stations and seafood displays. If you want to experience the more classic sit down dinner, then you can reserve a place at the Ocean Room for a Thanksgiving fine dining experience.
This popular Charleston restaurant serves the traditional trimmings and turkey, as well as delectable alternates like fried chicken and ahi tuna.
In addition to the turkey plate for the die-hard fans of Thanksgiving, Blossom also rustles up a lot of non-traditional entrées such as braised beef short ribs, butter-poached shrimp and lamb shank braised with red wine.
4. Burwell’s Stone Fire Grill
The steakhouse is a favorite haunt during Thanksgiving and serves American favorites like steak, lobster bisque, pork chops, turkey and caramelized parsnip soup, among other mouth-watering treats.
5. Le Farfalle
Chef Michael Toscano creates a delicious Thanksgiving Day feast with an Italian twist. Expect generous portions of braised turkey thighs, ricotta gnudi a la king, roasted fall vegetables and pimento cheese arancini on your plate.
Best Places to Stay for Thanksgiving in Charleston
Where to Shop on Thanksgiving Weekend in Charleston
Charleston has a thriving shopping scene all year round and holidays like Thanksgiving add more charm to the experience. From street vendors and kiosks to classic boutiques to open-air farmers market, the city offers every possible avenue for shopping.
1. King Street Shopping
If you want to complete all your holiday shopping in one day, then head straight to King Street. In this shopping district you can buy everything from clothes and accessories to cookware and household goods. If you are waiting for Black Friday, then visit the boutique stores here for some really good bargains.
2. Farmer’s Market
Hosted at Marion Square, the Farmer’s Market is the place to grab local holiday decor, cotton bouquets, magnolia wreaths and other knick-knacks.
3. Middleton Place
A plantation in Dorchester County, Middleton Place holds a holiday market during the Thanksgiving weekend where visitors can not only purchase interesting items from local vendors and artisans who display their wares in stalls but also enjoy the festive carols and musical acts performed live.
Recommended Accommodations for Thanksgiving in Charleston
Best Activities for Families Spending Thanksgiving in Charleston
There are various Thanksgiving activities that you can experience in Charleston with your entire family. Out of towners should extend their stay for the whole weekend at one of the historic Charleston hotels for Thanksgiving, to make the most of the celebrations.
1. Holiday Festival of Lights
The James Island County Park in Charleston hosts a light show which has won many awards. In addition, visitors can also enjoy the Holiday Train Ride, marshmallow roasting, Santa’s Sweet Shoppe and the Victorian Carousel during the event which starts right before Thanksgiving and goes on until New Year Day.
2. Ghost Tours
One of the most fun and thrilling ways to enjoy the history of Charleston, especially during Thanksgiving, which is the next biggest celebration after Halloween, is to go for ghost tours. The experience is enjoyable for the whole family, as you visit the Old City Jail, Charleston’s oldest graveyard and a pre-revolutionary dungeon, all of which are believed to be haunted.
3. Charleston Strolls:
What better way to enjoying Thanksgiving in Charleston, apart from tucking in plates full of stuffed turkey, than exploring the city’s iconic landmarks and heritage sites like the Boone Hall Plantation and the Magnolia Plantation.
Top Offers for Thanksgiving in Charleston
Charleston Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving Inspiration
- Asheville Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Atlanta Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Austin Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Boston Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- California Thanksgiving Getaway
- Chicago Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Florida Thanksgiving Getaway
- Gatlinburg Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Las Vegas Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Los Angeles Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Massachusetts Thanksgiving Getaway
- Nashville Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- New Orleans Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- New York City Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Orlando Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Plymouth Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Portland Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- San Diego Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- San Francisco Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Seattle Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving
- Tennessee Thanksgiving Getaway
- Thanksgiving Destinations
- Thanksgiving Getaway on the East Coast
- Williamsburg Hotels & Vacation Rentals for Thanksgiving