Choose the perfect vacation rental
Beach Vacation in California: Top Destinations
Beach Vacation in California: Top Accommodations
Best Beaches in California
With over 400 public beaches along the Pacific coast, you'll be able to post up on the sand almost anywhere you go.
Just south of Los Angeles, this beach is wonderful for its broad expense of white sand and typically calm surf. Even better, you'll have everything you need right there in quaint Laguna, from restaurants and ice cream to shopping.
The sand on this beloved San Diego beach is known for its mica, a mineral that sparkles under direct sunlight. Besides the sparkling beach, Coronado's warm weather and shallow water are ideal for swimming and skimboarding. Volleyball nets simply add to the fun. To the north, there is a dog-friendly section of the beach where Fido can jump, run, play, and get wet.
Dog-lovers will fall in love with Carmel Beach, as this beautiful spot allows off-leash dogs to play. Thanks to the excellent surf breaks and deep water, you can also try your hand at surfing. In the evening, be sure to catch the sunset, and don't miss the charming town of Carmel itself.
Situated in San Francisco, Baker Beach technically prohibits swimming — and it's often too cold to imagine taking a dip, anyway — but offers breathtaking views of the Golden Gate Bridge. The beach slopes gently into the sea, forming a beautiful dune. If you're in San Francisco, don't miss it.
Best Places to Stay for Beach Vacation in California
Things to Do During Your Beach Vacation in California
Whether you're traveling solo or enjoying a family vacation on California's coast, you'll encounter plentiful attractions to tempt you from your beach house. Play games on the sand, explore lighthouses, stroll historic fishing piers, and see iconic 17th-century architecture.
There are several lighthouses along California's coast. Many of them were installed at strategic points to prevent ship wrecks. In Mendocino, you can visit the Point Arena lighthouse and climb to the top for gorgeous views of the sea. For an even more intense lighthouse visit, Point Montara, near Moss Beach, and Pigeon Point in Pescadero offer on-site accommodation if you wish to spend the night.
Stroll Historic Fishing Piers
For about a century beginning in the mid-19th century, California's economy relied on fishing. Today, these historic piers are rarely used to haul in the day's catch, but are still standing and have been re-purposed for a variety of entertainment. On the Santa Cruz Wharf, for example, you can dine, shop, and spot sea lions. Farther south in the state, the Santa Monica Pier is a perennial favorite for its amusement park rides.
Take part in a sandcastle building contest alongside professional builders. You'll find two opportunities in San Diego. The first is at Imperial Beach in July and the second is over Labor Day weekend at the Broadway Pier. If you're staying elsewhere along California's coast in summer, be sure to check local listings for the chance to put your sandcastle skills to work.
Recommended Accommodations for Beach Vacation in California
What to Pack for Your Beach Vacation in California
Before you head out on your idyllic California beach vacation, be sure you're prepared! Besides the basics, here's what to pack.
The state is known for its temperate weather, but just because you're not broiling in the heat doesn't mean the sun isn't doing damage. Pack sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats, and consider UV-protective beachwear for the little ones (or even for yourself!).
California is pretty casual. For the beach, pack shorts and t-shits and swimwear and sandals, and for the rest of the time, consider lightweight, easygoing fashion.
Beach Day Items
California's tap water is perfectly potable, so consider packing reusable water bottles for your beach days. A beach bag will also be handy. Additionally, you might find you'll be happy you brought goggles, a waterproof smartphone case for underwater pictures, and perhaps an external powerbank for particularly long days at the beach.
The drinking age in California is 21, but if you're of age, look young, and don't have formal identification handy, you might find yourself out of luck in a restaurant or grocery store.
Top Offers for Beach Vacation in California
Frequently Asked Questions
How much do vacation rentals for California Beach Vacations cost?
HomeToGo has incredible rentals for California Beach Vacations, with prices as low as $83 per night.
What kinds of rentals can I find for California Beach Vacations?
You can find 9,264 House rentals and 4,429 Apartment rentals for California Beach Vacations right here on HomeToGo.
The Weather in California
Average Nightly Rental Prices in California
Vacation Rental Price Information in California
Vacation Rental Availability in California
Rental Availability Information in California
California Beach Vacations Inspiration
- Beach Vacations in Myrtle Beach
- Beach Vacations in New England
- Beach Vacations in New Jersey
- Beach Vacations in North Carolina
- Cocoa Beach Vacations
- East Coast Beach Vacations
- Georgia Beach Vacations
- Michigan Beach Vacations
- Oregon Beach Vacations
- San Diego Beach Vacations
- South Carolina Beach Vacations
- Texas Beach Vacations
Top Vacation Ideas in California
- Romantic Getaways in Ohio
- Romantic Getaways in Florida
- Road Trips in Texas
- Romantic Getaways in Pennsylvania
- Romantic Getaways in Colorado
- Family vacations in Florida
- Florida Beach Vacations
- Texas Spring Break Vacation
- Family Vacations in Texas
- Romantic Getaways in North Carolina
- Family Vacations in Hawaii
- Romantic Getaways in Virginia
- Florida honeymoon
- Romantic Getaways in Wisconsin
- Romantic Getaways in Georgia
- Family Vacations in California
- Summer Vacations in Colorado
- Road Trips in Florida
- Road Trips in Oregon
- Family Vacations in Colorado
- Family Vacations in the Midwest
- Romantic Getaways in Tennessee
- California Spring Break Vacation
- Beach Vacations in Virginia
- Road Trips in Arizona
- Honeymoon in Oregon
- Road Trips in Vermont
- New Mexico State Parks
- Colorado New Year's Eve
- Ranch Vacation in Colorado
- Spa Getaways in Texas
- Spring Break in Hawaii
- Weekend Trip Ideas in Louisiana
- Spring Break in Colorado
- Romantic Getaway in Idaho
- Honeymoon in Wyoming
- Indiana State Parks
- Beach Vacations in Delaware
- Weekend Getaway in Virginia
- Must-See Events in California
- Road Trips in Ohio
- Lake House Rentals in New Jersey
- New York Music Venues
- Massachusetts Thanksgiving Getaway
- New York State Parks
- Washington Christmas Vacation
- Top Destinations for a Weekend Getaway in Colorado
- Massachusetts Christmas Vacation
- Christmas Markets in New York
- Family Vacations in Kentucky
- Romantic Getaways in Oklahoma
- Road Trips in Wyoming
- Kansas State Parks
- Weekend Getaway in Kansas
- Staycations in Connecticut
- Midwest Dog Friendly Vacations
- California Music Venues
- Family Vacation in Missouri
- California Christmas Vacation
- Rhode Island State Parks
- Beach Vacations in Pennsylvania
- East Coast Family Beach Vacations
- Spring Break in Vermont
- Romantic Getaway in Oregon
- Road Trips in Minnesota
- Colorado Music Venues
- Spring Break in Oregon
- Family Vacation in Utah
- Romantic Getaway in Montana
- Spring Break in North Carolina
- Romantic Getaway in Massachusetts
- Arizona Music Venues
- Washington State Parks
- Virginia Christmas Vacation
- Christmas Markets in Pennsylvania
- Family Vacation in Alabama
- Must-See Events in South Dakota
- Lake Cabins in Texas
- Top Destinations for a Weekend Getaway in Ohio
- South Carolina State Parks
- Georgia State Parks
- Summer Vacations in Alaska
- Ranch Vacation in Texas
- Romantic Getaway in New Hampshire
- Road Trips in New Mexico
- Summer Vacation East Coast
- Vermont Monthly Rentals
- Louisiana State Parks
- Beach Vacations in Maine
- Romantic Getaway in West Virginia
- Alabama Beach Vacations
- Top Destinations for a Weekend Getaway in Pennsylvania
- Spa Getaways in New Jersey
- Family Vacations in Virginia
- Must-See Events in Virginia
- Florida New Year's Eve Destinations
- Staycations in California
- Skiing in Idaho
- Ranch Vacation in Wyoming
- Summer Vacations in Texas