Choose the perfect vacation rental
Beach Vacation in California: Top Destinations
Kick Back and Relax on a Fantastic Beach Vacation in California
Beach Vacation in California: Top Accommodations
Best Beaches in California
With over 400 public beaches along the Pacific coast, you'll be able to post up on the sand almost anywhere you go.
1. Laguna Beach
Just south of Los Angeles, this beach is wonderful for its broad expense of white sand and typically calm surf. Even better, you'll have everything you need right there in quaint Laguna, from restaurants and ice cream to shopping.
2. Coronado Beach
The sand on this beloved San Diego beach is known for its mica, a mineral that sparkles under direct sunlight. Besides the sparkling beach, Coronado's warm weather and shallow water are ideal for swimming and skimboarding. Volleyball nets simply add to the fun. To the north, there is a dog-friendly section of the beach where Fido can jump, run, play, and get wet.
3. Carmel Beach
Dog-lovers will fall in love with Carmel Beach, as this beautiful spot allows off-leash dogs to play. Thanks to the excellent surf breaks and deep water, you can also try your hand at surfing. In the evening, be sure to catch the sunset, and don't miss the charming town of Carmel itself.
4. Baker Beach
Situated in San Francisco, Baker Beach technically prohibits swimming — and it's often too cold to imagine taking a dip, anyway — but offers breathtaking views of the Golden Gate Bridge. The beach slopes gently into the sea, forming a beautiful dune. If you're in San Francisco, don't miss it.
Best Places to Stay for Beach Vacation in California
Things to Do During Your Beach Vacation in California
Whether you're traveling solo or enjoying a family vacation on California's coast, you'll encounter plentiful attractions to tempt you from your beach house. Play games on the sand, explore lighthouses, stroll historic fishing piers, and see iconic 17th-century architecture.
1. Visit Lighthouses
There are several lighthouses along California's coast. Many of them were installed at strategic points to prevent ship wrecks. In Mendocino, you can visit the Point Arena lighthouse and climb to the top for gorgeous views of the sea. For an even more intense lighthouse visit, Point Montara, near Moss Beach, and Pigeon Point in Pescadero offer on-site accommodation if you wish to spend the night.
2. Stroll Historic Fishing Piers
For about a century beginning in the mid-19th century, California's economy relied on fishing. Today, these historic piers are rarely used to haul in the day's catch, but are still standing and have been re-purposed for a variety of entertainment. On the Santa Cruz Wharf, for example, you can dine, shop, and spot sea lions. Farther south in the state, the Santa Monica Pier is a perennial favorite for its amusement park rides.
3. Sandcastle-Building Festivals
Take part in a sandcastle building contest alongside professional builders. You'll find two opportunities in San Diego. The first is at Imperial Beach in July and the second is over Labor Day weekend at the Broadway Pier. If you're staying elsewhere along California's coast in summer, be sure to check local listings for the chance to put your sandcastle skills to work.
Recommended Accommodations for Beach Vacation in California
What to Pack for Your Beach Vacation in California
Before you head out on your idyllic California beach vacation, be sure you're prepared! Besides the basics, here's what to pack.
1. Sun Protection
The state is known for its temperate weather, but just because you're not broiling in the heat doesn't mean the sun isn't doing damage. Pack sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats, and consider UV-protective beachwear for the little ones (or even for yourself!).
California is pretty casual. For the beach, pack shorts and t-shits and swimwear and sandals, and for the rest of the time, consider lightweight, easygoing fashion.
3. Beach Day Items
California's tap water is perfectly potable, so consider packing reusable water bottles for your beach days. A beach bag will also be handy. Additionally, you might find you'll be happy you brought goggles, a waterproof smartphone case for underwater pictures, and perhaps an external powerbank for particularly long days at the beach.
The drinking age in California is 21, but if you're of age, look young, and don't have formal identification handy, you might find yourself out of luck in a restaurant or grocery store.
Top Offers for Beach Vacation in California
Frequently Asked Questions
California Beach Vacations: What is the vacation rental cost in California?
HomeToGo offers incredible rentals for California Beach Vacations, with prices as low as $89 per night.
Can I find a vacation rental for a large group for California Beach Vacations?
House rental in California usually fits 7 guests.
What types of vacation homes can i book for California Beach Vacations?
There is a lot of House rental and Apartment rental that are great for California Beach Vacations.
The Weather in California
Average Nightly Rental Prices in California
Vacation Rental Price Information in California
Vacation Rental Availability in California
Rental Availability Information in California
California Beach Vacations Inspiration
- Beach Vacations in Myrtle Beach
- Beach Vacations in New England
- Beach Vacations in New Jersey
- Beach Vacations in North Carolina
- Cocoa Beach Vacations
- East Coast Beach Vacations
- Georgia Beach Vacations
- Michigan Beach Vacations
- Oregon Beach Vacations
- San Diego Beach Vacations
- South Carolina Beach Vacations
- Texas Beach Vacations
Top Vacation Ideas in California
- Romantic Getaways in Ohio
- Romantic Getaways in Florida
- Road Trips in Texas
- Romantic Getaways in Pennsylvania
- Romantic Getaways in Colorado
- Family vacations in Florida
- Florida Beach Vacations
- Texas Spring Break Vacation
- Family Vacations in Texas
- Romantic Getaways in North Carolina
- Family Vacations in Hawaii
- Romantic Getaways in Virginia
- Florida honeymoon
- Romantic Getaways in Georgia
- Family Vacations in California
- Summer Vacations in Colorado
- Road Trips in Florida
- Family Vacations in Colorado
- Family Vacations in the Midwest
- Romantic Getaways in Tennessee
- Beach Vacations in Virginia
- Road Trips in Arizona
- Spring Break in Colorado
- New Mexico State Parks
- Spa Getaways in Texas
- Weekend Trip Ideas in Louisiana
- Surfing Vacations in North Carolina
- Weekend Getaway in Virginia
- Indiana State Parks
- Spring Break in Hawaii
- Honeymoon in Oregon
- Honeymoon in Wyoming
- Surfing Vacations in California
- Pet Friendly Rentals in Alabama
- Lake House Rentals in New Jersey
- Romantic Getaway in Idaho
- Beach Vacations in Delaware
- Must-See Events in California
- Road Trips in Vermont
- Road Trips in Ohio
- Ranch Vacation in Colorado
- Skiing in Massachusetts
- Colorado New Year's Eve
- Skiing in Ohio
- Massachusetts Christmas Vacation
- Top Destinations for a Weekend Getaway in Colorado
- New York State Parks
- Washington Christmas Vacation
- Summer Vacations in Oregon
- Summer Vacations in Pennsylvania
- March Vacations on the East Coast
- California Christmas Vacation
- New York Music Venues
- Romantic Getaways in Oklahoma
- Massachusetts Thanksgiving Getaway
- Christmas Markets in New York
- Staycations in Connecticut
- December Travel on the East Coast
- Kansas State Parks
- Weekend Getaway in Kansas
- Road Trips in Wyoming
- Pet Friendly Rentals in Tennessee
- California Music Venues
- Cabins with Hot Tubs in Colorado
- Cabins with Hot Tubs in Vermont
- Family Vacations in Kentucky
- Family Vacation in Missouri
- Pet Friendly Rentals in Florida
- Beach Vacations in Pennsylvania
- Midwest Dog Friendly Vacations
- Summer Vacations in Arkansas
- Arizona Music Venues
- Spring Break in Oregon
- East Coast Family Beach Vacations
- Romantic Getaway in Montana
- Christmas Markets in Pennsylvania
- Spring Break in Vermont
- December Travel in California
- Top Destinations for a Weekend Getaway in Ohio
- Romantic Getaway in Oregon
- Summer Vacations in Alaska
- Family Vacation in Alabama
- Family Vacation in Utah
- Lake Cabins in Texas
- Washington State Parks
- Georgia State Parks
- Virginia Christmas Vacation
- South Carolina State Parks
- Must-See Events in South Dakota
- Colorado Music Venues
- Spring Break in North Carolina
- March Vacations in Hawaii
- Romantic Getaway in Massachusetts
- Road Trips in Minnesota
- Family Vacations in Virginia
- Alabama Beach Vacations
- Beach Vacations in Maine
- Top Destinations for a Weekend Getaway in Pennsylvania
- Staycations in California
- Road Trips in New Mexico
Explore More Vacation Ideas
Spring Break Destinations